Sunday, March 20, 2011

Gnomes in my garden?

I love my gardens.  And I anxiously await the first signs of spring each year, because here in the Pacific Northwest, winter is long with lots of gray, rainy days. But if I can look out the windows into my gardens and see flowers beginning to pop up, it gives my mood a big lift.


Crocus are one of the first flowers to come up.  It may still be winter, but these little guys are harbingers of the spring to come.  I've planted groups of crocus in several different spots around my yard and gardens, but the ones I love the most are the small bunch by our front door and the large group that encircles the front side of our weeping cherry tree. 

So one day when the rains had stopped for awhile, I decided to talk a walk around the yard and survey my kingdom.  I thought the crocus looked a little thin on flowers for some reason, so I bent down to take a closer look.  This is what I found:
Do you see what I see?  Naked stems with flower blooms all over the ground!  Someone has been beheading my beloved crocus and then leaving the evidence of their dastardly deed right where I could see it.  Surely I must have gnomes in my garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment