Thursday, March 10, 2011

Of beads and birds

Well.....  I didn't really need another jewlery project, but ...


...I ran out of the dark copper beads for the last project I told you about, and I'm at a design impass on my other jewelry projects.  And I wanted to do something for the Copper Collection with slightly larger, size 8 seed beads - a piece that would be less delicate, go from casual to office, and have a lower price point.  So, after much deliberation, and consideration of the beads I already had, and wanting to try and use what I already had, rather than going out to buy more beads, which I was already avoiding (!), I came up with the above piece.  I'm thinking of doing an adjustable clasp so that the necklace could be worn a bit shorter or a bit longer, about 20" , plus or minus a bit. 

Personally, I think this necklace will look dynamite with a simple black top and black jeans or pants, or with a classy black suit and white top. 

And I really like the size and feel of size 8 seed beads, despite the fact that they are not widely used.  (Perhaps that is precisely why I do like them.  Conformity is not my strongest suit!)  Sometimes you just don't want a delicate look, but you sure don't want large plastic baubles either!  I find that the size 8 seed beads are a really good solution.  When you use them for tubular peyote stitch, as I have done here, they create a necklace that drapes better than the more rigid shape of the tiny size 11 delicas that pack together so tightly. 



So there I was yesterday morning, stitching away on this necklace, when this strange noise, like pipes groaning in an old home, happened again, and this time my husband was home!  So I muted the tv and we waited.  A few seconds later it happend again, and I asked, "What was that?"  He replied, "It sounds like a bird pecking on top of the metal chimney cover."  So I told him I was betting it was a flicker, and he went out to take a look.  Sure enough, some lovesick fool is up there jackhammering away.  Probably one of those juveniles that Mom and Pop raised right here in our backyard.  Obnoxious teenagers!

Wake up!



No comments:

Post a Comment