Thursday, March 1, 2012

Contemporary Corned Beef and Cabbage

If just the title of this post sends shivers up and down your spine with the memory of cabbage cooking for eons stinking up the whole house..... well I'm not with you.  My mom never did this to us, thankfully.  But I've read the stories!


So here's how to do this meal in less time and not stink up the house!  First, slowly simmer the corned beef roast for about 2 hours, not three like the package probably says. Now if you can really slowly, slowly, slowly simmer the roast, you can go the full three hours, but it has to be a very slow, barely bubbling simmer.  Toward the end of the cooking time, add your potatoes.  I like to use Yukon gold if I can get them, otherwise red or white potatoes are the next best choice.  Russets are bakers and tend to fall apart, so I don't use them in this dish.

Note I have said nothing about cabbage yet. It's not time!  When the roast is done and resting, then you do the cabbage. 


I use a saute pan for the cabbage.  I put a couple of good spoonsful of the liquid from the roast into the pan, with just a tiny splash of soy, and heat that up.  When it's really hot, add your sliced cabbage and a bit of freshly cracked black pepper and saute it over fairly high heat until it is tender crisp.  And that's it for the cabbage.

Time to slice the corned beef roast and eat!



   

No comments:

Post a Comment